IRA rollover into 401(k)
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:02:20 PM »
I use IAM to track, among other investments, my 401(k) and traditional IRA as separate portfolios.  I recently decided to rollover the IRA holdings into the 401(k). 

What is the best way to account for this tax-deferred rollover in IAM?  I could simply enter a "sell" transaction in the IRA portfolio and a "purchase" transaction in the 401(k) portfolio, but this would recognize the gain as "realized" for the year (i.e. no recognition of tax-deferred status).  I considered a Tender/Exchange, but it seems you can only do this within the same portfolio but not between separate portfolios.

Thanks,

kevin

Re: IRA rollover into 401(k)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
Kevin,

Use the edit menu | transfer a security choice to transfer each position from the IRA portfolio to the 401k portfolio...

If you have add'l questions, please contact our technical support team: techsupport@investmentaccountmanager.com

Matt

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
Matt,

This was a good suggestion, and I wish to share the outcome for the benefit of future readers.  This action did transfer the security from the IRA portfolio to the 401(k) portfolio, as advertised.  But what occurred in the real-life rollover transaction is that "security A" held in the IRA was sold, with the proceeds used to purchase "security B" in the 401(k).  The transfer of value from "security A" to "security B", in addition to transferring from one portfolio to another (without realizing a gain or loss), is what I am trying to capture within IAM - not simply moving "security A" from one portfolio to another. 

Many thanks,

kevin

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
I figured it out... after transferring the security between portfolios, then you can do a Tender/Exchange of "security A" for "security B" in the new portfolio.  No gain/loss recognized.  It works swimmingly!

kevin

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »
Kevin, glad that worked out properly for you - job well done!

Matt